The NNB Special Projects are created with the help of Midtown communities, local organizations and media partners. Usually, the projects are built during a regular class semester and maintained by the NNB staff thereafter.
If you have an idea for a project, would like to participate in one, or become a partner/sponsor of NNB’s Special Projects, please contact us.
- 150 Years of Black History in St. Petersburg
- The Weekly Challenger historic preservation project with the Nelson Poynter Memorial Library.
- 50 Years of The Weekly Challenger (to be launched in the fall of 2017).
- Voices of Midtown – A storytelling project showcasing the people who live, work and play in Midtown.
- Black Pioneers of the Sunshine City – Documentary film produced by David and Archie Boston.
- The Spa Beach Controversy – Documentary film produced by Vanya Tsvetkova.
- Art in the City – Film produced by Cranstan Cumberbatch and Jabaar Edmond.
- Elections coverage 2015, 2016 with Creative Loafing and The Weekly Challenger.
- Telling Tampa Bay Stories: Midtown – A story collection event with WUSF Public Media and Dr. Carter G. Woodson Museum.
- Journeys in Journalism – NNB helps teachers in local schools to provide media training to K-12 students at Melrose Elementary, John Hopkins Middle, and Lakewood High schools.
- Academy Prep Media Club – NNB co-teaches the class in partnership with WEDU PBS.
- Academy Prep Community Cares activity – Recurrent health, science and environment reporting program at Academy Prep.
- Mt. Zion Progressive Missionary Baptist Church’s Young Anchors For Christ (YAFC)
- Midtown by Midtown – A community forum organized by NNB to hear what the community wanted to say to local candidates.
- Pamper st. Petersburg 2016 – 35 Years of the Enoch Davis Center.
- Story Days in Tampa Bay 2016.